Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Food & Wine, May 2005.
Make and share this Strip-Steak Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3⁄4 lbs New York strip steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 cup pitted green olives, finely chopped (6 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat a grill.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon zest, rosemary, crushed red pepper, 1 tablespoon of sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper- Rub the mixture all over the steaks and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the olives with the parsley, oregano, mint, capers, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil.
- Scrape the marinade off the steaks and season them with salt and pepper.
- Grill the steaks over moderately high heat, turning them occasionally, about 10 minutes for medium-rare meat.
- Let the steaks rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes, then thinly slice them crosswise.
- Meanwhile, brush the cut sides of the rolls with olive oil and grill until toasted, about 1 minute.
- Spoon half of the olive relish on the rolls and top with sliced steak and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and spoon the remaining relish on top.
- Close the sandwiches and serve.