Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious bread for your next BBQ! Easy to prepare and just throw it on the grill with your ribs, chicken, etc. Experiment with the cheese...I've done this with a pesto-jack I got at the farmer's market and it was great. Recipe is from an old Betty Crocker Barbecue cookbook.
- 1 (1 lb) French bread, loaf
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion, with tops
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cut bread diagonally into 1-inch slices, cutting almost to bottom of loaf.
- Mix remaining ingredients; spread between slices of bread.
- Place bread on a 28x18-inch piece of heavy-duty foil; wrap securely.
- Place on grill 5-6 inches from medium coals; cover and grill, turning once, about 8-10 minutes; unwrap foil and grill bread uncovered 5 minutes longer.
I picked this recipe to make for the Photo Forum's July BBQ event. I made the cheese mixture the day before I planned to grill. This is very simple and so tasty. The only problem I had was getting the bread slices apart after grilling, as the cheese melts and sticks the slices together, but it didn't affect the recipe. Thanks Hey Jude for posting a yummy bread recipe!!!
This is great bread for grilling. I subbed some onion and chive cream cheese and omitted the green onions. I also used fresh garlic instead of the garlic salt. Mmmm...the flavor was great! Hubby loved it and has claimed the leftovers for a later snack. LOL
Oh, my. I could have this by itself for dinner! Could you hear the 'yummy groans' happening here tonight? We didn't light the grill, so I put it in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes, opening the foil for the last 5 minutes.