Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
this is a childhood favorite so named because the meat looked like strings to all of us kids! i always double the recipe and freeze half. if left to sit overnight the fat skims well and the flavor intensifies. i also use the leftovers served with noodle and shredded cheddar on top.
- 1 large cheap beef roast (stew beef will work)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- mix all ingredients except roast in a bowl and whisk together.
- place roast in large roaster pan.
- pour sauce over top.
- bake at 325 degrees for 4-6 hours--cook till meat shreds.
- remove from oven, cool slightly.
- remove meat from pan and pull apart into shreds.
- discard fat and add meat back into sauce.
- stir well.
- serve on hamburger buns with cheddar cheese.
I cheated and made this in the slow cooker. I just threw everything in the crockpot and left in on low for 9 hours.I added a tablespoon of garlic powder. My 7 year old nephew ate two of these. I don't know how he fit them in his little tummy!! I served them with tater tots( his favorite)and he left those on his plate. :grouphug: