Recipe by PanNan
This is a recipe from Lidia's Italian American Kithchen. The traditional beans used in this recipe are the Italian string beans - the flat wide ones. Due to the acidity of the tomato sauce they will turn olive green in the cooking process. This recipe is posted by request. I haven't tried it yet.
Top Review by Little Italy
My mom had a whole bunch of green beans from the market. WE didnt know what to make, and this was a really easy, but flavourful dish! WE also added some sliced onion because of our addiction to it..LOL
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
- crushed hot red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, with their liquid (preferably Italian plum tomatoes like San Marzano)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Smash the cloves of garlic and toss them into the pan.
- Cook, shaking the pan, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Scatter the beans over the oil, season them lightly with salt and red pepper, and turn with tongs until they begin to wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crush the tomatoes coarsely with your hands and add them to the beans.
- Cover the pan, cook until the beans are tender- about 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking, and serve hot.