Recipe by Michelle S.
I combined two coffee cake recipes and modified things abit to come up with this great little coffee cake. It has a wonderful fresh flavor and the house smells fabulous while it is in the oven!I like it best while it's still abit warm.
Top Review by Kat in Texas
SUPER recipe! I've made it twice for us, twice for others and everyone LOVES it. It IS best warm out of the oven, but still very, very good cold. Be careful to just lightly press the topping, otherwise it turns hard during baking (it's still yummy, though). Also, if you double the recipe (in 9x13 pan), you do NOT need to increase the cooking time -- I cooked 50 min & it browned too much on the bottom. Next time I doubled it, I cooked it 40 min and it was fine. Thanks for sharing this!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, fresh or frozen)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash cinnamon, generous
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, finely chopped (I use walnuts or pecans)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, melted butter, milk and vanilla.
- Stir liquids into dry ingredients just till blended.
- In a buttered 9-inch square pan, spread half of dough.
- Top with berry mixture and spoon remaining dough over berries.
- In a separate bowl combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nuts.
- Stir in melted butter until mixture resembles moist crumbs.
- Sprinkle this over top of dough and press in lightly.
- Bake in a 375° oven 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown.