I combined two coffee cake recipes and modified things abit to come up with this great little coffee cake. It has a wonderful fresh flavor and the house smells fabulous while it is in the oven!I like it best while it's still abit warm.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, fresh or frozen)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash cinnamon, generous
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, finely chopped (I use walnuts or pecans)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, melted butter, milk and vanilla.
- Stir liquids into dry ingredients just till blended.
- In a buttered 9-inch square pan, spread half of dough.
- Top with berry mixture and spoon remaining dough over berries.
- In a separate bowl combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nuts.
- Stir in melted butter until mixture resembles moist crumbs.
- Sprinkle this over top of dough and press in lightly.
- Bake in a 375° oven 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
SUPER recipe! I've made it twice for us, twice for others and everyone LOVES it. It IS best warm out of the oven, but still very, very good cold. Be careful to just lightly press the topping, otherwise it turns hard during baking (it's still yummy, though). Also, if you double the recipe (in 9x13 pan), you do NOT need to increase the cooking time -- I cooked 50 min & it browned too much on the bottom. Next time I doubled it, I cooked it 40 min and it was fine. Thanks for sharing this!
Lovely and very berry! I used frozen mixed berries and cherries and added a dash each of nutmeg and cloves with the cinnamon and a bit of almond extract with the vanilla. Phenomenal flavor and wonderful delicate moist crumb. And the struesel topping is sooooo good!
This is really great coffee cake. I use 1/3 cup canola oil in place of the melted butter. I also use half whole wheat and half white flour and the cake still turns out really great. I sometimes a layer of softened cream cheese, sugar and vanilla before adding the topping to cancel out any health benefits.