Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This great recipe came from my local paper ages ago. I love making this at the holidays. It's easy to whip up and the kids adore it! I often make it without the butter sauce, but the sauce makes it decadent! This is easy to make ahead of time, just gently reheat the butter sauce when time to serve. Also doubles easily to make in a 13x9 pan.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 dash ginger
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- Heat oven to 375º.
- Grease bottom only of 8 inch square or round pan.
- In large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup margarine. Blend well.
- Add flour, 1 teaspoon ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt; mix until crumbly.
- RESERVE 1/3 cup of mixture.
- To remaining mixture add soda; mix.
- Add buttermilk, molasses and egg; blend.
- Pour into pan and sprinkle with reserved mixture.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until done.
- In small saucepan, combine all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 4 minutes.
- Serve over gingerbread.
So simple and so good. I will definitely be making this again. It was devoured! A great way to use up that leftover buttermilk that I always seem to have for some reason. And I highly recommend the sauce.
PURE HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! My hubby had his "with the works"!!! :) I didn't have any allspice, so I subbed 3/4 of a 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, and added a pinch each of more cinnamon and cloves! Worked perfectly!!!! This is going to be made every Christmas from now on!!! :) Thanks, Charmie!! *And thanks to Cookin-jo for helping me with editing the photo!! Really appreciate it!! ;) :)