Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A nice comfort bar.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Grease the bottom only. of a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine sugar and butter; blending well,
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- Add flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt; mix until crumbly.
- Reserve a 1/3 cup of the mixture for the topping; set aside.
- To the remaining mixture, add baking soda; mix well.
- Add buttermilk, molasses and egg; blend well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.