Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A fairly simple fruit filled bar that will keep for a while on the kitchen counter top. Perfect for holiday gifts.
For the pastry
- 18 tablespoons unsalted butter, at a cool room temperature (2 sticks plus 2 tb, 255 gms)
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed (165 gms)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (290 gms)
- 1 cup cake flour (145 gms)
For the filling
- 1 cup preserves (or more Any flavor you like)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed in
- 1 tablespoon cold water
For the Topping
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (145 gms)
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar (164 gms)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (86 gms)
- 3⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Line a 9x13 aluminum baking pan with heavy duty foil.
- Leave 2-3 inches of foil sticking out of the pan on the short sides to aid in lifting the finished product out of the pan.
- FOR THE PASTRY.
- In a small bowl or plastic bag measure and mix flours and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (can be done with a hand mixer), mix the butter, vanilla extract and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add flours 1 cup at a time, on medium speed, mixing until fully incorporated after each addition.
- Continue mixing until the dough begins to come together in large clumps.
- Press dough into prepared pan about 1/4-inch thick.
- Prick the pastry with the tines of a fork or a wooden skewer.
- Chill until firm, about 20 minutes.
- While the pastry is resting, Place rack in center of oven.
- Preheat to 375°F.
- Spread nuts on a cookie sheet and roast for 5-10 minutes, until hot and aromatic (do not burn them!) Allow to cool Bake pastry until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Lower oven temp to 350 degrees.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes on a rack, have filling and topping ready when crust is cool TOPPING.
- Combine dry ingredients, whisk to combine and remove lumps from brown sugar, rub butter into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse corn meal (a few pea sized lumps of butter are ok) add almonds and toss to combine, set aside.
- In a small sauce pan heat jam to a simmer while stirring, add cornstarch/water mixture, bring back to a simmer for 60 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread filling evenly onto baked crust, sprinkle with topping and bake 20-30 minutes, until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Cool on a wire rack, remove from pan and cut into bars.
- Sift powdered sugar on top.
These are so good followed recipe exactly, except I used toasted hazel nuts (filberts). Great will make again soon.