Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
My favorite sweet potato recipe. Originally from Southern Living, it is now our family tradition. It is definately on the sweet side. Prep time does include the time it takes to boil the potatoes.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, about 3 pounds
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water to cover, 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Let cool to touch; peel and mash potatoes.
- Combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugar and next 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2 quart casserole.
- Combine brown sugar and remaining ingredients; sprinkle over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Very tasty, but maybe a shade too sweet--my 4-year-old tasted it while I was making it and thought it tasted like icing, and that was before adding the topping! The whole family liked it and I will probably make it again. It's similar to something my mother-in-law used to make.