Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake is low in fat and not too sweet. The glaze is optional, it takes a minute to prepare and adds only a few more calories. Great way to use up fresh plumbs in season. We like it best without the glaze, which also helps the diabetic.
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml soft margarine
- 2 eggs, separated
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 2 (793.78 g) can plums, drained (or 2 cups halved ripe plums)
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 14.79 ml soft margarine
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 59.14 ml icing sugar (optional)
- 4.92 ml milk (optional)
- 1.23 ml vanilla (optional)
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar, margarine and egg yolks until fluffy.
- Combine flour with baking powder.
- Beat into egg mixture alternately with milk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into greased 9 inch square cake pan.
- Halve and pit plums.
- Arrange over batter.
- Streusel topping-------------.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, margarine and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes or until top is golden and tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
- Glaze (optional) --------------.
- Combine icing sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.
Five stars isn't enough for this recipe! You have brought back a wonderful childhood memory for me. When I was a child I lived next to a man who was a professional baker and when plums were in season he made something very similar to your recipe and it was my favorite. I've been wanting it ever since and now I've found it thanks to you. I made it tonight for my Mother's 88th Birthday and it was a five star sensation!!
Thank you Dorothy once again. (I've also made your Marzipan bars.) This is the first time I have made a cake with plums, and let me just say that even my 5-yr-old boy loved it. Easy to make, and I even added an extra plum! Very impressive. Thanks.
I'm really excited about this recipe. My hubby was recently told he has Type 2 diabetes. I've been searching for recipes to make for him, because he's really missing his desserts! This one got rave reviews from him. Very easy to make. Plus I have a tree full of plums right now that I will can for use in this! Thanks Dorothy!