Recipe by Derf
This cake is low in fat and not too sweet. The glaze is optional, it takes a minute to prepare and adds only a few more calories. Great way to use up fresh plumbs in season. We like it best without the glaze, which also helps the diabetic.
Top Review by Terrilynn
Five stars isn't enough for this recipe! You have brought back a wonderful childhood memory for me. When I was a child I lived next to a man who was a professional baker and when plums were in season he made something very similar to your recipe and it was my favorite. I've been wanting it ever since and now I've found it thanks to you. I made it tonight for my Mother's 88th Birthday and it was a five star sensation!!
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soft margarine
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 (14 ounce) cans plums, drained (or 2 cups halved ripe plums)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soft margarine
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon milk (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar, margarine and egg yolks until fluffy.
- Combine flour with baking powder.
- Beat into egg mixture alternately with milk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into greased 9 inch square cake pan.
- Halve and pit plums.
- Arrange over batter.
- Streusel topping-------------.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, margarine and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes or until top is golden and tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
- Glaze (optional) --------------.
- Combine icing sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.