Recipe by Renate
This one is a must eat whenever I am in Berlin, which means getting up and into town early enough to get it fresh from the oven. The cold yeast method makes it one of the fastest yeast cakes ever.
Top Review by Berliner Goere
I have to say, I was very skeptical while making the dough, it was not a pretty sight. Thoben being our favorite bakery though I was quite eager to try and recreate their wonderful cakes. This recipe is probably as close as you can get to the real thing. I did make a couple of minor adjustments though, the Streusel (topping) were a bit dry so next time I will add a bit more butter. Also, in order to make it a true copy I sprinkled some sugar over the cooling cake, as does Thoben. All in all, in came out tasting just like Thoben’s. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 -2 egg (I use 2)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- If you don't have instant yeast, soften the yeast in the cold condensed milk.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add softened butter and eggs to milk and mix well.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients, this dough will be soft.
- Cover tightly and put into refrigerator overnight (will last up to 4 days).
- Streusels: Mix flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter.
- Stir together the egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Add to dough and mix well.
- Remove yeast dough from refrigerator.
- Knead dough with a little extra flour about 3- 4 minutes, it should not be too sticky.
- Spread or roll on a greased cookie sheet or lined with baking paper.
- If needed make edges with folded tin foil.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the cake.
- Let dough rise for in a warm place until almost doubled.
- Bake in a preheated 325ºF o 350ºF oven for 25 to 30 minutes until it turns a pale gold.