Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Tart Granny Smith apples and nutmeg are key to giving this pie a tangy flavor. This recipe is very easy to make, yet produces a quality apple pie. Best served warm with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with warm caramel sauce is nice too.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell, frozen, preferably a name brand
- 3 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 14.79 ml flour
- 236.59 ml flour
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 118.29 ml packed light brown sugar
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees with a cookie sheet on the center rack. Mix peeled and sliced apples in a large bowl with sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.
- Pour apple mixture into frozen pie crust.
- Make the streusel crumb topping by mixing together with a fork in a medium bowl the flour, cinnamon, and light brown sugar. Then mix in the softened butter with a fork, stirring and blending until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Top the pie with the crumb topping, place on the cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until the crust is a deep golden brown and the filling bubbles.
- Remove from oven, cool 30 minutes and serve warm with ice cream and caramel ice cream topping drizzled over pie, if desired.
My husband made this and said it was real easy to make. The taste was AWESOME!!!! He did change it up a little. He used Granny Smith and Gala apples.
I made this tonight for the first time with gala apples. It was delicious and super easy! I may start making it to bring along to holiday get togethers.