Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Is there a better way to start the day than with a slice of still-warm coffee cake and a steaming mug of coffee? Well?
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups yoghurt
- 2 apples, peeled,cored and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a large bundt pan or two small loaf pans.
- Combine brown sugar, oats and cinnamon in small bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- Using mixer, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Fold in dry ingredients alternately with plain yogurt, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Pour about 3 cups of batter into bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle with 2/3s of a cup of streusel.
- Sprinkle half of apple mixture over top.
- Top with remaining batter, streusel and apples.
- Run a small, sharp knife through batter to create swirl effect.
- Bake until golden-brown and toothpick comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
Fantastic bread! This makes a lot of batter though so I made one loaf (9x5) and 6 muffins -- which was perfect for us. These were gone in no time and just perfect for breakfast. Thanks for posting this keeper recipe that we will be having often this school year.
This was very good! I made it in a bundt pan and it came out so beautiful! I really wan't to crazy about the nutmeg though. I think next time I make it I will use cinnamon instead. Besides that everything was wonderful! Thanks for the recipe.
Though I think this bread is average, it did get good reviews from other tasters; even a sweet-discriminating Asian had a second piece.