Recipe by evelyn/athens
Is there a better way to start the day than with a slice of still-warm coffee cake and a steaming mug of coffee? Well?
Top Review by ellie_
Fantastic bread! This makes a lot of batter though so I made one loaf (9x5) and 6 muffins -- which was perfect for us. These were gone in no time and just perfect for breakfast. Thanks for posting this keeper recipe that we will be having often this school year.
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups yoghurt
- 2 apples, peeled,cored and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a large bundt pan or two small loaf pans.
- Combine brown sugar, oats and cinnamon in small bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- Using mixer, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Fold in dry ingredients alternately with plain yogurt, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Pour about 3 cups of batter into bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle with 2/3s of a cup of streusel.
- Sprinkle half of apple mixture over top.
- Top with remaining batter, streusel and apples.
- Run a small, sharp knife through batter to create swirl effect.
- Bake until golden-brown and toothpick comes out clean, about 55 minutes.