Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A rather new adopted recipe that we have enjoyed.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- reheat the oven.
- Spray an 8-inch springform pan with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
- To prepare topping,in a small bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in margarine until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- To prepare cake, in a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites, sour cream, milk, and oil.
- Add flour mixture; stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Place pan on a wire rack; cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove side of pan; cool cake completely.
- NOTES: Fruit toppings give coffee cakes extra flair.
- After spooning batter into the pan, try arranging thin slices of apple over the top, then proceed as directed.
Lori - this is a very dense but flavorful coffee cake. I was a bit surprised at how thick the batter turned out - it was almost like a bread dough - sticky and very thick so I did add a bit more sour cream to try to help but it was very doughy. It still baked up in the 40 minutes. It is great warmed up the next day - as my DH and I prefer a less dense coffee cake and the reheating helps the density. It has such great flavors and is not overly sweet which is perfect for us! Made for the Gimme 5 Tag Game!
I have only used this recipe for the topping. I have used the topping 2 times on Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins,only because I like these muffins. I will try your cake one time though it does look great. thanks for the posting
i have the same plates that you do! lol