Recipe by Mavendog
Recipe from 1950's. Found in my grandmother's cookbook folded up between the pages! Yummy. Great served with coffee or tea.
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix and sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine milk and vanilla and add alternately with dry ingredients to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Spread half the batter in well-greased ablong baking pan, 9x13x2 inches; sprinkle half the streusel mixture on top then add remaining batter; top with remaining streusel mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees about one hour or until cake tests done; cut into squares to serve.
- STREUSEL MIXTURE: Blend brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, melted butter or margarine and chopped nuts until mixture is crumbly.