Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
A good breakfast or brunch recipe. I like to double this for a 9x13 pan. Fresh or frozen blueberries can be used in the recipe as well.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all cake ingredients except blueberries in large mixing bowl.
- Beat until batter is well mixed. Gently stir in blueberries by hand.
- Spread batter into greased 8 inch baking pan.
- Stir together all topping ingredients except butter. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Had to add more milk to make the batter workable about 1/4 cup-- I agree with other reviewers that the batter was a little thick. However this did the trick and it turned out great. This cake has w wonderful flavor with the cinnamon and nutmeg. It turned out moist and buttery and has a lovely texture. Will definitely make again with the addition of a small amount of milk-- just enough to make the dough spreadable in the pan. Otherwise a great recipe.
This cake produces better results if the butter and sugar is thoroughly creamed together. Then add egg (large one) and beat very well. Add milk and dry ingredients alternating but mix gently. See if you find this better.
Nice coffee cake BUT I agree with another reviewer who said the batter was too thick. It was like bread dough! So I doubled the milk. Also tried it with buttermilk and got great results.