Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from Desperation Dinners and promises to be complete in about 30 minutes. Very good cheesy potato soup. Good with nice chewy bread and green salad. I usually add a little Tabasco for a bit more kick.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 4 cups already boiled potatoes (or/1 package diced potatoes with onions)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits (not imitation)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- green onion, chopped
- bacon bits
- sour cream
- Melt butter in 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium low heat. Stir in the onions and cook to melt off any ice, 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, and packaged potatoes (if using), cover the pot, raise the heat to high, an bring the broth to a boil.
- Meanwhile, if using leftover potatoes, cut them into bite-sized pieces and set aside. When the broth boils, uncover the pot and whisk in the cheese. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to whisk until the cheese melts.
- Stir in the leftover potatoes, sour cream, bacon bits, and black pepper Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then serve, or let stand off the heat until ready to serve.
- Garnish with green onions, bacon bits and a dollop of sour cream.
I used fresh potatoes and onions for this, yet the recipe was still very stress-free. ;) Delicious soup. Very thick, and I love thick soups, but I did add maybe 1/4 cup of milk just to thin it slightly. Thanx for posting!
Wonderful recipe! Really easy to make! Thanks for the recipe!1 If you ever want to get rid of that goofy husband of yours, look me up!! ;)