Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I made these after our fridge and freezer died and we had apple butter and egg whites that had thawed out overnight. Whole grains and apple butter add a hearty, moist feel, while butterscotch chips and a touch of flavoured cappuccino mix add a bit of decadence.
- 1⁄2 cup spelt, flakes
- 3⁄4 cup warmed apple cider
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons instant cappuccino mix (French vanilla)
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 10 fluid ounces apple butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 425°F Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a small dish, mix spelt flakes and cider. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, spice and cappuccino mix.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, oil, apple butter and egg whites.
- Beat in soaked spelt flakes.
- Stir in the flour mixture, followed by the butterscotch chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in the tin, then unmould onto a wire rack.