Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from The Art of the Grill by Jamie Purviance. Smells and tastes divine.
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 fresh sausages, such as italian (each sausage should weight 4-5 ounces and be 1 1/4 inches thick)
- 6 hot dog buns or 6 rolls, split
- 1⁄2 cup spicy brown mustard (or to taste) or 1⁄2 cup coarse grain mustard (or to taste)
- Cut off the stalks and outer leaves of the fennel bulb.
- Cut the bulb in to lengthwise slices, 1/8 inch thickness keeping the root end attached to prevent the slices from falling apart.
- Slice the onion crosswise, making 1/2 inch width slices.
- Lighty brush both sides of the fennel and onion slices with olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grill the slices directly over medium heat for 12-14 minutes or until tender; turn once during grilling time.
- Remove from the grill and allow to cool.
- Cut away the bit of root from each fennel slice.
- Cut the fennel and onion slices into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Grill the sausages over direct medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until firm and no longer pink; turn once during grilling time.
- A few minutes before the sausages are cooked, toast the cut sides of the buns over direct medium heat.
- Put a sausage inside a toasted bun; add some grilled fennel and onions; drizzle with mustard.