Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
There is a restaurant in Shreveport, LA that is famous for it's Strawberry Pie. I got this recipe back in the 70's In fact, Strawn's is known for this pie. I got this recipe many years ago and make it during strawberry season.
- 9 inches baked pie shells
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Mix corn starch, sugar and salt in saucepan. Mix to a paste with 3 tbsp water. Then boil the cup of water and slowly add to sugar mixture. Boil on low heat til the mixture is thick and clear. Add lemon juice and food coloring.
- Cool 15 minutes then add sliced strawberries.
- Pour into shell. Chill.
- Whip cream and slowly add sugar and spread on pie.
While this recipe may be a great pie, it's not the correct recipe for Strawn's Strawberry Pie in Shreveport. Any recipe that uses Corn Starch or eggs is not Strawns.
Very yummy, the taste of summer. I made a graham cracker crust with a recipe from this site.
This pie is so fresh, light, and yummy! I used a graham cracker crust and add about 4 cups of strawberries just to give it more than enough! Great summer dessert. I love Stawns on LA and this comes close!