Recipe by strawberryjane
My mother gave me this recipe...not sure where she got it but I have made it several times and my whole family loves it...Good on a cold winter day..I have included cooking the chicken in the prep time...makes very large kettle of soup
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 lbs.)
- 1 small turnip, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb carrot, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) bag noodles or 2 cups uncooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chicken,remove insides.
- Put chicken in the biggest pot you have.
- Fill with enough cold water to cover.
- Add vegies and spices to the pot.
- Bring to a boil,reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 2 hours.
- Remove chicken,debone and cup up meat then add meat to soup and either add noodles or the rice.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer until noodles or rice is tender.
- Add an extra cup of water if you need more broth-- you may also use chicken broth.
- I let mine simmer all day on low-- I used home-made noodles in mine this time but have also used the rice-- I like it either way-- this smells wonderful cooking-- This is not one of those runny watery soups, really thick and hearty!