Recipe by Cookin'withGas
A nice simple recipe for a fruited muffin, this time strawberry...My sister is a strawberry fanatic and always asks for this when she comes for a visit...This recipe has been updated to substitute oil for the butter and substitute Egg Beaters (egg whites) for the whole egg...It may seem (to some) a little denser than the usual muffin but its an excellent breakfast or snack item nonetheless :D
Top Review by lynnski / LA
I've made these twice and they turned out well; the one minor change was to lightly coat the strawberry pieces with flour so they would stay separate; it added a small amount of flour to the recipe. I was surprised at how moist the cupcakes were when first taken out of the oven, but we liked them that way; and by the next day they were no longer moist.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup strawberry yogurt (Dannon Light & Fit preferred)
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries, diced small (do NOT thaw)
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 400°F.
- In med bowl, stir together all flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In sm bowl, beat together Egg Beaters, vegetable oil and yogurt.
- Gently fold yogurt mixture into flour mixture until completely incorporated. Do NOT beat.
- Fold in strawberries, lemon rind and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into 9 well-greased muffin cups. Chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Bake muffins in preheated 400°F oven for 25-30 min until they are golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Let muffins stand 5 min, then turn out of pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Variations: change the flavor of the yogurt to something else for a TWO fruit flavored muffin.
- NOTE: It is indeed a shame when a perfectly good recipe is dinged due to users with insufficient experience OR due to users who persist in altering the original ingredients or recipe instructions. We stand by this recipe, unequivocally.