Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Three thin layers of cake filled with strawberries and cream
- 4 whole large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 pints strawberries, washed hulled sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Make 8 inch spring form cake;.
- Grease with butter an 8 inch spring form pan.
- Sprinkle first with granulated sugar.
- Then dust with flour, removing by tapping excess out.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the eggs and sugar, and coffee granules over a saucepot of hot water on medium heat.
- Beating with a rotary beater until mixture is thickend and leaves a ribbon like effect with beaters are lifted.
- Take from the heat and beat until cool.
- If you are using an electric beater, than the cooking process is not really necessary.
- Sift the measured flour and fold into the cooled egg mixture, alternating with the walnuts in three batches.
- Pour into the prepared sugared floured pan.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tester comes away clean.
- Turn onto a wire rack and cool.
- Slice the berries reserving a few for decorations.
- Whip the heavy cream until it holds its shape.
- Can sweeten if desired with a tablespoon corn syrup.
- As you will notice the berries and cream is not sweetened.
- When the cake is cooled and about ready to serve, split cake into three layers.
- Remove 1/3 of the whipped cream for the top plain layer.
- Combine the remaining whipped cream with the berries.
- Place first layer onto serving dish and place 1/2 of filling .
- Top with second layer and another of filling.
- Top with final layer and and last of the whipped cream, garnish with a few whole berries.