Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
The warm, melting strawberries make your house smell so good! Adapted from Southern Living, you'll love this fresh, warm-weather spin on a Monte Cristo sandwich.
- 8 ounces brie round
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons red pepper jelly
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 strawberries (optional)
- Trim and discard rind from Brie. Cut Brie into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Layer four bread slices evenly with turkey, basil leaves, strawberries and Brie.
- Spread one tablespoon pepper jelly on one side of each of remaining four bread slices; place bread slices, jelly sides down, on top of brie. Brush sandwiches with melted butter.
- Cook sandwiches, in batches, in a pre-heated panini press two to three minutes or until golden brown.Garnish with strawberry halves, if desired.
This is fabulous!! Do not omit the FRESH BASIL!
I "stuck" this recipe in my cookbook here on Recipezaar, then was surprised to see the paninis served at our neighborhood Bunco group. They were such a big hit and SO delicious. Everyone loved them. She said she might use more of the red pepper jelly next time, and I couldn't identify it in the sandwich, so I would agree. The warm strawberries added just a hint of sweetness that was perfect. If you want to impress, this is a recipe to guarantee it!