Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 mins
This is a version of a recipe which was from the California Strawberry Commission. It makes a beautiful presentation if placed in a Trifle or other glass bowl.
- 1 pint fresh sliced strawberry
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed into
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 poundcake (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 12 ounces whipped topping
- 1 sprig mint
- Into a saucepan place 1 cup of the sliced strawberries, the sugar, and 1/4 cup of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mix the cornstarch/water into it.
- Return to heat and cook until thick (about 2 minutes).
- Add the lemon juice then cool mixture to room temperature.
- Set aside a few slices of the unusued strawberries for a later garnish.
- Fold in the remainder of the sliced strawberries to the cooked mixture.
- Layer the ingredients in the following manner.
- Put a layer of whipped topping in the bottom of the bowl.
- Put a layer of pound cake cubes on top of the whipped topping.
- Cover the cubes with a layer of the strawberry mixture.
- Repeat these layers ending with a top layer of whipped topping.
- The dessert may be refrigerated before serving is desired.
- Before serving garnish with reserved strawberries and the sprig of mint in the center.
Great quick dessert that we all enjoyed. My 7 year-old could have eaten the whole bowl himself! Thanks, Carrol, for sharing your recipe!
This was a great little dessert, and very easy to make....don't let the many steps fool you, this only took about 10 minutes to whip together other than the cooling down time. Next time I think I would use Angel Food Cake instead of pound cake, as we found the pound cake to be a little heavy, but otherwise delicious! Thanks so much for sharing!