Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Tops courtesy of California Strawberry Commission.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices angel food cake (1 inch-thick slices)
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 16 ounces sliced frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed
- toasted sliced almonds, for garnish
- whipped cream, for garnish
- To make custard, in bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt and eggs until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk.
- Transfer mixture to heavy bottomed saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, about 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Reduce heat to low; whisk 1 minute more. Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla.
- Transfer to bowl; place a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until cold.
- Place 1 slice angel food in bottom of a 1-cup individual glass dish; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of sherry. Spread 2 tablespoons strawberries evenly over cake; spread 1/3 cup custard over strawberries. Top with 2 tablespoons strawberries; garnish with whipped cream and almonds.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 6 individual servings.
- Alternative: Assemble trifle in 1 6-cup glass serving dish.