Recipe by Maribel (skadoo)
This is a modification of a recipe a friend gave me about 15 years ago. This is very simple and always knocks their socks off at potlucks, I think it's the toasted Almonds. While this is a Trifle it doesn't contain Sherry.
- 1 (18 ounce) box cake mix (preferable a brand that has "pudding in the mix")
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen strawberries
- 1 (12 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the cake using eggs, water, and oil. If your cake mix calls for different amounts just go ahead and follow the box directions.
- As the cake is baking, thaw the strawberries and make the pudding using the milk (again if the box calls for a different amount of milk follow the instructions on the box.).
- After the cake is cooked, toast the almonds on a cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, becareful not to burn them! Almonds should be lightly browned.
- Slice the cake into cubes/chunks.
- Assemble the dessert in a wide and deep bowl as follows: cake, strawberries, pudding, cool whip and almonds. Continue layering until you run out of ingredients or you run out of bowl.
- As I assemble I pack as much cake as I can in the layer & I usually make sure I'm generous with the strawberries. I also push the layers down to get as many as I can into the bowl. I almost always have stuff left over and assemble the "extras" into another bowl. That way I can have a huge serving the night before I take this to a potluck.