Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This trifle is much lighter than traditional trifles but equally as good. It uses yoghurt and fresh fruits providing a much healthier version. You can substitute the cream topping for a low fat version. The frozen ready whipped cream works quite well with this recipe too.
Top Review by Lorac
Delightful! Strawberries in a cloud of cream and yogurt layered with cake. Using store bought cake makes this a quick and easy. I made my own cake (white), used whipped cream and omitted the kiwi. A wonderful way to use fresh strawberries!
- 1 medium sponge cake (either homemade or bought, a packet mix does fine for this recipe)
- 1 packet topping mix or 1 packet whipping cream
- 2 (340.19 g) box non-fat strawberry yogurt
- 1 package strawberry, sliced
- 3 kiwi fruits, sliced
- 59.14 ml toasted slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the cake vertically into halves.
- Slice the cake into fingers.
- Prepare topping mix as per instructions on the packet but using skimmed milk, or if using fresh cream, whip until stiff.
- Layer half the cake pieces, yoghurt, whipped topping, strawberries and kiwi in a 2 quart serving bowl.
- Repeat layers and sprinkle with almonds.
- Garnish with whole strawberries, if desired.
- Refrigerate for atleast 2 hours.
- For an alternative taste, grate the rind of an orange and a lemon and sprinkle over the sponge.
- Use orange flavoured yoghurt and top with tinned mandarines instead of strawberries.