Recipe by **Pebbles**
So light and delicious. A flavored meringue with fruit and whipped cream. You can use one package (10 oz) frozen strawberries, thawed and drained, omit sugar. Also you can use lite Cool Whip instead of heavy cream.
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (for torte)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (1 pint) box fresh strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (for filling)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, let egg whites warm to room temperature (one hour).
- Lightly grease bottom (not sides of 9-inch tube pan).
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- To make torte: with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar, 1/4 c at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in extracts.
- Spread eggwhite mixture evenly in prepared pan.
- Put pan in oven; turn off heat.
- Let stand in oven several hours or overnight.
- Do not open oven door.
- Run a small spatula around edge of torte;invert onto serving plate.
- Refrigerate several hours, or until well chilled.
- To make filling: Wash strawberries in cold water.
- Reserve 5 larger berries for garnish.
- Slice remaining berries into medium bowl.
- Add sugar;stir gently.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Split chilled torte in half crosswise.
- Spread bottom half with half of whipped cream;spoon on half the sliced berries.
- Top with other half of torte, cut side down.
- Spoon on rest of sliced berries and whipped cream.
- Garnish with whole berries.