Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This luscious dessert is perfect for the beginner and looks like a masterpiece!! As a light dessert, it's ideal after a big meal! This recipe is from In Good Taste by Elms College.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- *Prepare an 8" or 9" cake pan lining it with parchment paper (or grease the pan).
- Cream the butter and the 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla, mixing well.
- In a seperate bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Blend the dry ingredients and milk alternately into the butter mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and set aside.
- With clean beaters, whip the egg whites, adding the 1 cup of sugar a little at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the egg whites over the top of the unbaked batter and sprinkle with walnuts (whole or pieces).
- Bake at 325F about 40 minutes or until cake tests done (cooking time will depend on your oven and pan size).
- *Using the parchment paper will allow you to easily lift the torte from the pan to test for doneness by piercing through the bottom of the cake with a toothpick.
- Cool the torte completely.
- Whip the cream and sweeten to taste.
- *You can substitute the cream with Cool Whip (or other) to lessen the calories and fat.
- Top off the torte with the whipped cream just before serving, adding whole (or cut) strawberries as your final layer.
- This torte should be made and enjoyed on the same day as the cream will soften the crispy meringue layer - still good but not the same!
WOW! We really loved this! And this was so simple to make and looks very impressive. I used whole walnuts but next time will used coarsely chopped ones, as it was a bit difficult to cut cause you can't see where the walnuts are. One gripe, it does not serve 10-12...5 of us finished it in one sitting, lol. Thank you!