Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Once you've made this angel food cake, you'll never go back to a box mix again!
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites (10-12 large eggs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white sugar
- In a very large mixing bowl bring egg whites to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, sift the powdered sugar and flour together 3 times and SET ASIDE.
- Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites.
- Beat with an electric mixer (I use my KA stand mixer) on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up).
- Sift about one-fourth of the flour/powdered sugar mixture over the egg white mixture, then fold in gently.
- Repeat sifting and folding in the remaining flour mixture, using one-fourth of the flour mixture each time.
- Gently pour the batter evenly into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Gently cut through the cake batter with a knife.
- Bake on the lowest rack in a 350°F oven for 40-45 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert the cake in the pan and cool completely.
- Using a knife, loosen the sides of the cake from the pan, don’t forget to cut around the center hole.
- Then carefully cover the pan with a large plate and invert the pan onto the plate.
- Serves 12.
- Recipe from: BH& G- Old Fashioned Baking.