Recipe by KitterKat
I found this recipe on the Family Circle website in 2006. I make it every year at Christmas.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 0.5 (12 ounce) jar seedless strawberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter, 1/2 c of the sugar, yolk, vanilla and salt until fluffy. Add walnuts and flour. Blend on low speed just until combined; dough will be crumbly but moist. Divide dough in half and form into two balls; wrap in plastic, refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Beak off 1 Tbsp of dough and roll into a ball (I use a cookie scoop). Roll ball in remaining 1/2 c sugar to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Press a deep indentation into the center of the dough, large enough for 1/2 tsp jam. Fill indentation with jam; repeat to form 36 cookies.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for 12-14 min, rotating pans halfway through, until lightly golden. Cool on pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks; cool completely.