Recipe by Irmgard
This is a great summer recipe when fresh strawberries are plentiful. I especially like the almond flavour. It freezes well so I often bake several to have in the fall and winter.
Top Review by officemaintenance
I really loved this bread.It turned out extremely moist and it had a wonderful flavor.I just happened to have buttermilk on hand which is why I chose this recipe.I did add the almond extract but not the almonds due to the fact we don't care for nuts in our bread.The only change I made was I used a half cup of applesauce and half cup of oil instead of the butter.I made mine in four mini loaf pans and I sprinkled the tops with a little brown sugar before baking.Delicious!
- 3 cups strawberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, gently toss together the strawberries, almonds and 1/4 cup of the flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy; beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the almond extract.
- Stir together the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir into the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk, making three additions of the flour mixture and two of buttermilk.
- Gently fold in the strawberry mixture.
- Spoon into 2 greased and floured 8x4-inch loaf pans.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for about 1 hour or until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans on racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pans; let cool completely in racks.