Prep 6 hrs
Cook 30 mins
A lower-sugar, whole wheat crust and sugar free "jam" filling make for rich yet light tasting miniature desserts, perfect for your next soiree. Makes 26-28 (or one 9" tart)
- 2 1⁄4 ounces unsalted butter (or vegan margarine for baking like Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- 2 1⁄4 ounces organic coconut oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sucanat or 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 (1 g) packetsvanilla-flavoured stevia (or 2 more tbsp sugar)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 ounces fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tart cherry juice
- 1 (1 g) packetvanilla-flavoured stevia
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chia seeds (or white Salba if you prefer)
- In a bowl, cream together butter, coconut oil, salt, Sucanat and stevia until light.
- Add vanilla and beat in, then beat in the flour until a stiff dough forms.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 4-24 hours.
- For filling:.
- Puree the strawberries with cherry juice and stevia.
- Add the chia seeds and pulse inches
- Pour into a bowl, cover and chill 1 hour.
- Assembly / baking:.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Break dough into small pieces and, using your fingers, pat into the bottom and up the sides of a mini-muffin tin to form a "shell".
- Spoon a tsp of strawberry filling into each shell.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely in the tin before carefully unmoulding.