Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Light and yummy dessert, perfect for strawberry season, or all year 'round with frozen berries. I am going to try this with other berries as well. When rhubarb is in season, I think a strawberry-rhubarb mixture would be lovely. I would use a little more sugar in that case.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh strawberries or 4 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1⁄2 small lemons, juice of or 1⁄2 small lime, juice of
- Mix the starch, sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler, and beat in the eggs. Make sure there are no lumps of cornstarch left.
- Beat the milk slowly into the egg mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat at once and beat in the vanilla.
- Divide the custard evenly amongst 6 serving dishes.
- Mix the strawberries, water, sugar, honey, salt and tapioca in a large pot and bring to a boil. Stir frequently.
- Simmer until the tapioca is clear, the strawberrries are soft, and the mixture is somewhat thickened.
- Stir in the lemon or lime juice.
- Spoon the strawberries evenly over the custard.
- Chill until set.
Delicious and perfect for the end of strawberry season! Thanks for sharing!
Just as promised, light and delicious. Dh is the tapioca fan in the family and he loved the strawberry. He suggested that bananas would be great in the custard. Wish I'd had some; next time.