Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here's a great way to use strawberries.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- whipped cream
- Combine water and sugar in saucepan.
- Cook and stir to dissolve sugar over medium heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Let cool.
- In bowl, cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth, about 8- 10 times.
- Roll into 12 x 8 inch rectangle.
- Top with strawberries.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- Seal the seam.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Pour melted butter into 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish.
- Place rolls, cut side down, in butter in baking dish.
- Pour syrup around rolls.
- Bake at 350 F, until rolls are golden and edges are bubbly; about 40- 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
Sorry, but this turned out strange. Was good until pouring the sugar water over the entire thing, which seemed to more or less ruin it. Was I supposed to reduce the sugar water at all? I did get to eat some of it, but wasn't worth the calories. Sounded good, just didn't turn out. Made for Bargain Basement tag game.