I got this recipe out of a Taste of Home book last summer and I love this recipe. I made it for a BBQ and my daughter requested it as a birthday cake. I've also used strawberries and blueberries for 4th of July celebration. The recipe recommends slicing the cake with a serrated knife. To split the cake into three layers I use dental floss - Makes a nice clean cut.
- 1 cup egg white (about 7)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, for garnishment (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored.
- Blend in water and extracts.
- Sift flour over batter; beat until smooth.
- Fold in egg whites just until blended.
- Spoon into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Cut through batter with a knife to removed air pockets; smooth the top.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- In a large bowl; dissolve gelatin in bowling water. Add ice water and stir.
- Place bowl in ice water for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Fold in strawberries and 1/2 cup of the whipped topping.
- Run a knife around the edges of pan to loosen cake.
- Split the cake horizontally into three layers (I use dental floss); place bottom layer on a serving plate.
- Spread with half of the gelatin mixture. Repeat with a layer of cake and then the remaining gelatin mixture. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Frost top and sides with remaining whipped topping. Garnish with strawberries.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.