1/2 Photos of Strawberry Sunshine Cake
1 hr 20 mins
I got this recipe out of a Taste of Home book last summer and I love this recipe. I made it for a BBQ and my daughter requested it as a birthday cake. I've also used strawberries and blueberries for 4th of July celebration. The recipe recommends slicing the cake with a serrated knife. To split the cake into three layers I use dental floss - Makes a nice clean cut.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup egg white (about 7)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
- 2Gradually add 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- 3In another bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored.
- 5Blend in water and extracts.
- 6Sift flour over batter; beat until smooth.
- 7Fold in egg whites just until blended.
- 8Spoon into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- 9Cut through batter with a knife to removed air pockets; smooth the top.
- 10Bake at 325 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- 11Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- 12In a large bowl; dissolve gelatin in bowling water. Add ice water and stir.
- 13Place bowl in ice water for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 14Fold in strawberries and 1/2 cup of the whipped topping.
- 15Run a knife around the edges of pan to loosen cake.
- 16Split the cake horizontally into three layers (I use dental floss); place bottom layer on a serving plate.
- 17Spread with half of the gelatin mixture. Repeat with a layer of cake and then the remaining gelatin mixture. Top with remaining cake layer.
- 18Frost top and sides with remaining whipped topping. Garnish with strawberries.
- 19Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Sunshine Cake
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.5
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 69.1 mg
- Sodium 173.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 37.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g