Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This calorie laden delicious ice cream makes enough ice cream for a large crowd. Cook time is estimated processing time which changes with machine used. Recipe source: local newspaper article on home made ice cream.
- 4 eggs (or egg substitute to equal 4 eggs)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen strawberries, partially thawed
- 1 -2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 (16 ounce) can strawberry soda
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- ***Very important*** If using eggs they must be pasteurized to make ice cream safe to eat.
- To pasteurize eggs: in a top pan of a double boiler or use two saucepans (the bottom one will have boiling water) stir together eggs, 1/2 cup evaporated milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 4 teaspoons water and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar over boiling water over med-low heat.
- Stir constantly until mixture reaches 160°F.
- If you don't stir constantly eggs will cook.
- Cool in refrigerator before continuing.
- In a large bowl beat pasteurized eggs (or egg substitute) until foamy.
- Add remaining sugar to egg and beat well.
- Add rest of ingredients and stir well.
- Pour into 6-quart ice cream freezer and process (freeze) according to manufacturer's directions.
Very good recipe...I also added a few cherries to give it a little more. And for the nuts, I left them out. Thanks for the good recipe!
If you have an ice cream maker and don't make this, you're not using your machine for what it is intended! This is the best thing that ever came out of mine! I scaled down this recipe for 1.5 quarts and it worked fine. I also skipped the heavy cream and used all half and half...didn't change a thing as far as I'm concerned. I also used eggbeaters instead of bothering with pasteurizing eggs. If I had to sum up this recipe in one word, it would be "WOW"! It deserves more than 5 stars...this is hall of fame stuff :) Thanks, Ellie!
I made this for the 4th of July and it was out of this world delicious! I would give it more than 5 stars if I could. I mashed my strawberries a little so they wouldn't get stuck in the dasher otherwise made as written. I will make this again and am adding it to my ice cream collection. Thanks ellie. Bulllwinkle.