Recipe by diner524
Posting for ZWT 6 and found at About.com for German Recipes. Recipe states: "Erdbeerbowle" is a wine punch with strawberries served at summer parties and German BBQs. Made with sweetened strawberries, lemon, wine and sparkling wine (German Sekt), it sets the mood of warm summer nights and tiki torches. Serve with cocktail picks to spear the fruit. Sounds like a yummy adult summer drink.
- 2 quarts strawberries, washed, cored and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (to taste)
- 2 lemons
- 750 ml , dry white wine
- 750 ml , white sparkling wine
- mint or lemon balm (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the sugar over the sliced strawberries in a bowl. Zest the washed lemons and then squeeze the juice. Add both juice and zest to the strawberries and let sit for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Drain and reserve the strawberry juice. Add the white wine to the strawberries and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until the guests start arriving. Pour the wine and berries into a punch bowl, add the reserved juice and stir. Pour the sparkling wine into the bowl and serve.
- To serve, ladle punch and strawberries into the glass, garnish with mint, if desired, and serve with a cocktail pick, so that the guests can eat the strawberries.