Recipe by Bev
This is a lovely dessert for guests. To create Strawberry-Sugar Biscuit Trifle in a beatiful checkerboard pattern, arrange strawberry halves around outside edge of dish, leaving space between. Then use an iced tea spoon to carefully spoon custard between the berries. When prepping for this recipe, make the custard first; then bake the biscuits, and prepare the fruit. This dessert makes a beautiful presentation. Prep time included chilling time. From Southern Living.
Top Review by Little Miss Cheffie
I was having company and wanted something different for dessert,a nd this caught my eye. We all enjoyed and everyone raved about it! I loved the custard. Great recipe Bev! 5+ stars if it were up to me! Ann
- 1 (12 count) packagefrozen refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons orange liqueur or 6 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 2 1⁄2 lbs strawberries, halved
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Sugar Biscuits (recipe#59864): Brush tops of frozen biscuits with whipping cream; sprinkle evenly with sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Place biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Prepare Trifle Custard (recipe#59865): Whisk together all ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly; boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Place pan in ice water; whisk occasionally until cool.
- Chill completely, about 2 hours.
- To Put Together Strawberry Sugar Biscuit Trifle:.
- Cut Sugar Biscuits in half; brush cut sides evenly with 5 tablespoons of orange liqueur/juice.
- Line bottom of a 4-quart bowl or trifle bowl with eight Sugar Biscuit halves.
- Arrange strawberry halves around lower edge of bowl.
- Spoon one-third of Trifle Custard evenly over Sugar Biscuits halves;
- Top with one-third of remaining strawberry halves.
- Repeat layers twice, ending with strawberry layer.
- Drizzle remaining orange liqueur/juice evenly over top.
- Cover and chill 3 to 4 hours.
- Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Spread over trifle; serve immediately.
- Garnish, if desired.
- Serves 10-12.