Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My sister's friend caters, and gave her this recipe. I've yet to have someone try it and not rave about it! You can substitute raspberries for the strawberries as well. I've also sprayed my won-tons with olive oil and baked them at 400* for 5 minutes instead of deep frying them.
- 1 lb spinach
- 5 -6 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups sliced strawberries or 2 cups raspberries
- 3 -4 ounces wonton wrappers, diagonally cut and fried
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup strawberries or 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- Set oil at 350* and deep fry the won tons until lightly brown and crisp. Or spray with olive oil spray and bake 400* for 5 minutes.
- Cook bacon and crumble, or buy pre-cooked bacon and cut into pieces.
- Put the almonds in a frying pan over medium heat, and continue to move around until lightly browned, and set aside until cooled.
- Slice strawberries.
- For Dressing, mix red wine vinegar, mustard, salt, sugar and raspberry jam. Then add oil and shake or mix well. Refrigerate after serving.
- Layer salad ingredients. Serve dressing on the side.
Love this salad! I only needed half of the dressing and it still seemed like plenty. Nice change from the regular kind of lettuce salad. (Loved the won tons!) Will make this over and over again. Couldn't get enough of it.
Wonderful salad! I left out the almonds for the nut-hater in the house but otherwise followed the recipe. The variety of textures and flavors was terrific - even the salad-haters went back for more!
Great recipe! Love the tang of the dressing, the sweetness of the strawberries and the crunch of the almonds and won ton ... a very nice blend of flavors :) Made this for "Tag It Red" event-Feb. '09.