Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my creamy version of this delicious salad.
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds or 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 bunches spinach, washed and torn (about 4 cups)
- 10 large strawberries, washed and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (mild)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Spread almonds on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sugar and spritz with water.
- Toast almonds in oven until golden (about 10 minutes or so).
- Remove and cool.
- Toss together spinach, strawberries and onion.
- Whisk together sugar, vinegar, olive oil, mayo, poppy seeds, salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, drizzle salad with raspberry dressing and sprinkle with candied almonds.
I added the onion's and the strawberries to the whole mix. Came out great.
I make a lighter version of this recipe from Duke Diet Fitness Center, then add the cheese. I use: 3 T. Splenda, (in place of sugar) 3 T. water 4 bunches (about 4 c.) spinach, washed, and torn 10 lg. strawberries, washed, and quartered 1/4 c. red onions, thinly sliced 2 T. Splenda, (in place of sugar) 1/4 c. Raspberry vinegar 1/4 c. olive oil, mild 1/4 c. Light mayonnaise, (I use Kraft, in place of mayonnaise) 4 tsp poppy seeds Nu Salt (in place of salt) and pepper I also add small Goat cheese chunks OR Feta cheese crumbles because I love them both. It's yummy, and is a real treat, especially when trying to shed those unwanted pounds.
This was an excellent summer salad. We used fresh picked spinach and strawberries from our local u-pick farm. I had to sub balsamic vinegar for the raspberry vinegar but otherwise followed the directions. Next time I would use just a touch less vinegar though -- the dressing was a bit too acidic for my liking. Having said that, the mayonnaise and nuts were a really nice addition to the normal spinach and strawberry salad.