Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a wonderful tummy salad that I just can't stop eating.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 -4 green onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add pecans and sugar; stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar melts around pecans and is caramel-colored.
- Remove pecans with a slotted spoon and spread in a single layer on a sheet of lightly greased aluminum foil.
- Cool completely and break up pieces as needed.
- Remove and discard stems from spinach.
- Wash spinach and pat dry with paper towels.
- Tear into bite-size pieces.
- Combine spinach, celery and strawberries in a large bowl.
- Pour 1 cup dressing over salad mixture; toss gently.
- Add reserved candied pecans; toss gently.
- Serve immediately with remaining dressing.
- Dressing: Combine first 5 ingredients in container of electric blender; cover and process until smooth.
- With blender running, gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream through opening in lid.
- Process until thick and smooth.
- Transfer dressing mixture to a bowl; stir in poppy seeds.
- Cover and chill.
Love this! I can't stop eating it either! Had to omit celery-had none, had to omit poppy seed-had none and do not even know what that is, and had to substitute purple onion for green. Yes, dressing is pink and that does not even matter. Excelent salad. Daughter (11) gives you 5 stars as well. Thanks.
Delicious, crowd-pleasing salad with a nice blend of sweetness and tartness. My family realized the pecans were yummy on their own and now I must hide them - or make extra- if I intend to have any for the salad. Take the MEDIUM temperature for the nuts seriously - too low on the fire and the sugar doesn't caramelize; too hot and everything burns in the blink of an eye. BTW, dressing is good without the poppy seeds, even better with them. Thanks, I'll make this one often.
Seemed to be well recieved. Would make again for a potluck or dinner with friends.