Top Review by Felicia_S
This salad is fantastic! I added a little more lemon zest because I like my dressings really lemony. I also used safflower oil instead of canola oil, and it was fine. Also, I put the dressing on about 3 hours before I plan to serve it, I think that once the spinach wilts a little bit the salad becomes even better & the flavors are more blended. The strawberries retain their flavor and the cucumbers remain crisp. Yum yum, will definitely make this many times this summer.
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries (8 ounces)
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, sliced and cut in half
- 1⁄4 small red onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 (6 ounce) package Baby Spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- For dressing, zest lemon to measure 1/2 tsp zest.
- Juice lemon to measure 2 tbsp juice.
- Combine zest, juice, vinegar, sugar, oil and poppy seeds in small bowl.
- Whisk until well blended.
- Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For salad, spread almonds in single layer over bottom of small baking pan.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- remove from oven; cool almonds.
- Hull strawberries; cut strawberries into quarters.
- Peel cucumber and slice; cut slices in half.
- Slice onion into thin wedges.
- Place spinach in large serving bowl; add strawberries, cucumber and onion.
- Whisk dressing; pour over salad, gently tossing to coat.
- Sprinkle with almonds.