Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Spinach salad with strawberries, and cucumbers, tossed in a light vinegar/poppyseed dressing. It's SOOOO good!
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄4 cup sliced natural almonds, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, sliced and cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 (6 ounce) package Baby Spinach
- Dressing: Zest lemon to measure ½ teaspoon zest. Juice the lemon to measure 2 tablespoons of juice. Combine zest, juice, vinegar, sugar, oil and poppy seeds in small bowl. Whisk until well blended. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Salad: Spread almonds in single layer over bottom of small pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven; cool almonds in pan.
- Meanwhile, hull strawberries; cut strawberries into quarters. Score cucumber lengthwise; remove seeds. Slice cucumber; cut slices in half. Slice onion into thin wedges. Place spinach in large serving bowl; add strawberries; cucumber and onion. Whisk dressing; pour over salad, gently tossing to coat. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Five ecstatic stars!! Not only flavorful but also very beautiful. I used 2 Tablespoons of splenda and thought it was sweet enough for my tastes - and I do agree with ~Rita~ that 1/3c sugar would probably be overkill. I used mixed greens in place of spinach. I WILL be making this again - thanks for posting this. I can't wait to bring this to our summer BBQ's!! Made for PAC Spring 2008.
I loved the almonds on this! I added 1 teaspoon sugar, Just could`t put in 1/3 cup of sugar into so little dressing. Added 2 tablespoon olive oil in place of the 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Used a vidalia onion because I didn`t have red. Thanks for the good eats!