Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
At the time I am posting this recipe, sweet strawberries are in abundance here in North Carolina. This is another delicious way to serve them.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄2 cup broken pecans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 cups fresh spinach
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- FOR DRESSING: In a small saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, and salt. Cook over medium-low heat just until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a blender. With blender running, gradually add oil in a thin steady stream. Transfer mixture to a small bowl; stir in poppy seeds. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a shallow baking pan, combine pecans and cinnamon. Bake for 5 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a large salad bowl, combine spinach, strawberries, red onion, and cooled pecans. Whisk dressing. Pour the desired amount of dressing over spinach mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Cover and chill the remaining dressing for up to 2 weeks. Use as a dressing for pasta salad or fruit.