Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
My son found this recipe in one of his Grandmother's old cookbooks - Pillsbury I think. I use Nestle's Strawberry Quik, powdered strawberry milk mix. It has become his favorite birthday cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup nestle's strawberry milk mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Sift flour with 1/2 cup sugar, Nestle's Strawberry Quik, baking powder and salt into a small mixing bowl. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in large mixing bowl. Beat with mixer at high speed until soft mounds form. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar; continue beating until very stiff, straight peaks form. DO NOT UNDER BEAT. Add egg yolks, water, vanilla and almond extracts to dry ingredients. Beat 1 minute at medium speed. Fold egg yolk mixture, 1/3 at a time, into beaten egg whites, gently but thoroughly, using a wire whip or rubber spatula. Pour into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes. Invert immediately. Cool completely before removing from pan. Cut cake horizontally to make 3 layers. Fill and top layers with Strawberry Fluff. Chill.
- Strawberry Fluff: Mix 1 1/2 cup Cool Whip whipped topping with 1/3 cup Nestle's Strawberry Quik and 1/4 tsp almond extract until thick.